Bring back some good or bad memories


May 10, 2022

Members of the Glenwood Springs Fire Department Posing in Front of the Hotel Glenwood, Colorado, circa 1888

The Hotel Glenwood first opened its doors in 1884. It was financed in part by town founder Isaac Cooper, and other investors who in anticipation of new businesses opening and visitors staying in Glenwood once the railroad arrived in Glenwood Springs in 1887.


The hotel began as a two-story wooden structure and over the years became an ornate three-story upscale destination with 75 rooms that could accommodate up to 200 guests. The high-end hotel attracted wealthy guests including “Silver King” Horace Tabor and his wife Baby Doe, and famous western gunslinger John “Doc” Holliday who died there in 1887.

On December 14, 1945, the Hotel Glenwood was destroyed by fire.




0 comments:

Post a Comment



FOLLOW US:
FacebookTumblrPinterestInstagram

CONTACT US

Browse by Decades

Popular Posts

Advertisement