bring back some good or bad memories

December 10, 2019

Amazing Vintage Photos of Houses Carved Inside Massive Tree Stumps in America From the Early 20th Century

The giant size of the stump gives a good idea of the size of the old growth trees.

As the first waves of loggers swept over great portions of the Pacific Northwest’s old-growth forests in the second half of the nineteenth century, those men opened up the dark dense woodlands to settlement. And they surely left their mark on the land. Extracting massive logs that were skidded away by oxen or floated down rivers to sawmills, the best wood was highly prized. Left behind was a scarred landscape, scrap wood, and stumps. Many stumps. Huge stumps. Stumps that still stood a full 10 feet high but were undesirable as lumber because they tended to swell down toward their base, making the wood-grain uneven.

When subsequent waves of pioneer settlers came on through, they found those old logging sites to be welcome clearings that hinted at possible futures as rich farmland. But, being littered with debris, and those towering stumps, these homesteads presented the challenge of years’ worth of hard labor just to clear – by burning and digging-out stumps – enough proper space to plant orchards or raise crops or livestock.

For select stumps would-be farmers found other uses: A few of the largest were leveled off and fashioned into platforms where “stump dances” were held to the driving tones of fiddles and mandolins. But another use for stumps, perhaps a less frivolous one, would be discovered. By constructing roofs on them, and attaching a door or gate, the stump-based shelters worked fine as storage sheds or chicken houses, or pens to keep pigs and calves safe from prowling predators including raccoons, bobcats, or bears. And sometimes it was people who were the denizens of these stump houses…










Intimate Photos Capture the Love of Carlo Ponti and Sophia Loren

One could say the classic romance of Ponti and Loren was like a true fairy tale. From the rag Sofia Sciocolone born in poverty to the renowned and dazzling actress, the audience perhaps have known her by many other names throughout her remarkable career, such as Lucia Curcio in It Started in Naples, Cesira in Two Women, Filumena Martuarno in Marriage Italian Style, and Antonietta Taberi in A Special Day, but to Carlo Ponti, the man who took her under his wing and created the name Sophia Loren as we largely know, she was his “wife,” his “soulmate” and his “great love.” Despite their 22-year gap, the denigrations from many naysayers and the struggles they had to overcome for their marriage to be legally recognized, Loren and Ponti would remain together for a lifetime with their 50-year relationship, until Ponti passed away in January 2007 after 10 days fighting for his life in hospital, and Loren, ever the loyal, had never left his side for the entire time.

Let’s take a look back at their great love through these 27 intimate photographs:

Sophia Loren kissing husband Carlo Ponti, 1950s. Photo by Pierluigi Praturlon.

Sophia Loren in a car with husband Carlo Ponti, 1950s. Photo by Pierluigi Praturlon.

Sophia Loren smoking and chatting with her manager Carlo Ponti, 1957. Photo by Loomis Dean for LIFE.

Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti sitting in their living room during the filming of 'The Key,' London, December 1957. Photo by Philippe Le Tellier.

Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti reading 'The Lovers' Pocketbook' in their living room during the filming of 'The Key,' London, December 1957. Photo by Philippe Le Tellier.




December 9, 2019

26 Color Pics Capture Street Scenes of East Berlin in 1969

East Berlin was the capital city of the German Democratic Republic from 1949 to 1990. Formally, it was the Soviet sector of Berlin, established in 1945. The American, British, and French sectors were known as West Berlin. 

East Berlin in 1969

From 13 August 1961 until 9 November 1989, East Berlin was separated from West Berlin by the Berlin Wall. The Western Allied powers did not recognise East Berlin as the GDR's capital, nor the GDR's authority to govern East Berlin.

On 3 October 1990, the day Germany was officially reunified, East and West Berlin formally reunited as the city of Berlin.

These color pics were taken by HJ in Ches that show street scenes of East Berlin in 1969.
"In the summer and early autumn of 1969 I worked as a courier (i.e. guide) on a season of 7 coach tours of East and West Germany and Denmark. 
These photographs were taken on our sightseeing tours of East Berlin, which Western coach parties could then visit under the auspices of the Reiseb├╝ro der DDR (the East German State Travel Office) and with one of their guides conducting the tour. Alighting from the coach was only allowed to a very limited extent and only in specified locations such as the Soviet War Graves at Treptow and at the Interhotel Berolina, where refreshments might be purchased. Because of those restrictions, most of the photographs in this set were taken from a moving coach and so, in some cases, reflexions in the coach windows can be seen."
East Berlin Skyline, 1969

East Berlin. Berlin Cathedral and GDR Foreign Office, 1969

East Berlin. Bomb Damage, 1969

East Berlin. Brandenburg Gate from the East, 1969

East Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie, 1969





Gorgeous Pics of Marilyn Monroe Photographed by Milton H. Greene in 1956

These risque Marilyn Monroe photographs were taken on the 20th Century Fox studio back lot in Los Angles in 1956. Milton Greene believed in Marilyn’s range as an actress and during this sitting the two took on a number of characters to exemplify her range.

Known as the ‘Hooker’ sitting, these images of Marilyn shows her wearing the costume from her character Cherie in the movie Bus Stop.










The 1958 Plymouth Tornado Concept Car Has Been Found and Restored

The dawn of the jet age in the 1950s had a dramatic effect on the American people and designers of the time. Jets were symbolic of the new modern age of speed, aerodynamics, miracle materials and advanced engineering. Our clothes, homes, workplace and cities all reflected these new modern concepts and approaches, but perhaps nowhere was this influence more apparent than in the auto industry.


The Plymouth Tornado concept was originally painted gray and designed on the frame of a 1958 Plymouth Fury. It was displayed in 1958 auto shows across the country, along with the Army’s Redstone missile produced by Chrysler Corporation.

The Plymouth Tornado concept incorporated some of those missile styling cues such as the large tail wing, twin rocket-like exhaust, dual head fairings and an aircraft nose. As a symbol of future American design, innovation and style, the Tornado was a sneak peek of what the ultimate jet-powered or turbine-engine cars of the next decade would look like.








In 1964, the Plymouth Tornado took second place for Radical Custom Design at the Sabers’ Auto Show in Denver and was featured in Car Craft Magazine. Over the next decade, little is known of its history until 1974 when a Utah-based sports figure purchased the Plymouth Tornado, plated it and drove it for the next two years. Following his death and the passing of his wife, the vehicle was forgotten and left outside in a field for the next 28 years at the late owner’s home. Eventually, a nearby neighbor became aware of this unique automobile and, suspecting its historical importance, began contacting collectors and potential buyers. In 2004, the Tornado was sold to a veteran Hollywood director and collector car enthusiast.

After sitting outside for nearly three decades, the Plymouth Tornado had hornet nests in the seats and mice living in the manifolds and hoses. Further investigation proved a long and very extensive restoration was necessary and the Hollywood director decided to put the Tornado back up for sale. A new owner and car aficionado was found who was willing to tackle the restoration.





40 Rare Photographs Capture Rural Life Around the Cilgerran District of Dyfed, West Wales at the Turn of the 20th Century

The amazing photographs were taken by Tom Mathias, a self-taught photographer, at the turn of the 20th Century. Using simple equipment, Tom Mathias recorded the daily life around the Cilgerran district of Dyfed, west Wales.

Following Mathias’s death in 1940 all his negatives were dumped in an outhouse, where they lay, forgotten, for more than thirty years.

James Maxwell (Maxi) Davis, a professional photographer living in the area, discovered them in the 1970s. The glass negatives were in a very poor condition. Many were broken and damaged beyond repair. Most of the reminder were very badly degraded, meaning a slow and painstaking process to print what images could be saved. Enough had survived however for Maxi to appreciate the importance of what he had found and set about the task of conserving and restoring the photographs.

It is thanks to these efforts that Tom Mathias’s remarkable photographs have been saved for posterity.










Browse by Decades

Popular Posts