Racing with Harley Davidson





Rarely Seen Photos of World War II

World War II photos taken in the former USSR during World War II on the occupied territories. These are photos from family archives posted online by grandchildren of those who took part in the war: the authors of most of them remain unknown. Some of the photos belong to the Soviet journalists: Dmitri Baltermants and Vladimir Lupejko. The photographs are cruel and shocking, but they should teach us about life and how precious it is. We are all equals during our short life on this planet and all nations should embrace others and cease all conflicts. For the better future of our children, may the history never repeat itself.






Old Photos of the First Generation Of Computers

Computers, and technology in general, have come a long way in today’s world. The modern world is actually shaped and defined through the usage of computers, those neat little gadgets that do the hard work for you. Modern computers are also perfectly capable of entertaining, organizing, reminding, even surprising you. That wasn’t always the case. Here is glimpse of the history of computers and their humble beginnings. These computers may not have been as powerful as modern computers, but they’re old black and white photos are intriguing nevertheless. If for no other reason, then because those old computers were capable of filling a whole room with their robust circuitry. Enjoy these old photos of the first generation of computers.

AVIDAC, Argonne’s first digital computer, began operation in January 1953. It was built by the Physics Division for $250,000. Pictured is pioneer Argonne computer scientist Jean F. Hall.
A press conference for what is considered the first computer, the Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator (ENIAC), was held at the University of Pennsylvania on February 1, 1946. The machine (shown here with a technician) took up an entire room, weighed 30 tons and used more than 18,000 vacuum tubes to perform functions such as counting to 5,000 in one second. ENIAC, costing $450,000, was designed by the U.S. Army during World War II to make artillery calculations. The development of ENIAC paved the way for modern computer technology–but even today’s average calculator possesses more computing power than ENIAC did.

The first ever computer in Latvia was developed and made at the start-up Institute of Electronics and Computer Science in early sixties. No computers were made industrially in USSR at that time. Therefore successful completion of that project certainly represented a significant achievement. Built on a lot of vacuum tubes, the computer actually worked well and was used for supporting research activities for several years till the time when it became possible to replace it by a more powerful industrially made computer.
The CSIRAC was Australia’s first computer. The name stands for CSIR originally stood for “Council for Scientific and Industrial Research”. This name was in effect from 1926 to 1949.

Ulica knez Mihailova (Prince Michael Street)

Prince Michael Street (Serbian: Улица кнез Михаилова; Ulica knez Mihailova) is the main walking street in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is a pedestrian zone and shopping center, protected by law as one of the oldest and most valuable landmarks of the city. It has a large number of impressive buildings and mansions built at the end of the 1870s.

Prince Michael Street was declared Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.






Romeo and Juliet


Show me the Summer




IF postcards







Fan club girls


Women bands






Yellowstone National Park 1912


Yellowstone National Park, famous for its hot springs and geysers.

Memorial Day Motorcycle Races



Every Memorial Day, thousands of motorcyclists came to Cedarburg for the annual dirt track races at Firemen's Park. Due to problem with some of the "bikers' the races were discontinued in 1966. The Fire Department then started the Maxwell Street events that are now held four times each year.

Wirth’s Department Store, Ozaukee County

Wirth’s Department Store was said to be the largest department store in Ozaukee County. This building was erected in 1870 and a large addition was built in about 1948. The store was operated by the third generation of the Wirth family. Village Furniture now occupies this building.

Besides shoes, dry goods and groceries, Wirth’s Department Store also sold appliances and farm implements. Edgar Wirth was in charge of the service department and is pictured at the left of other department employees.






The Interurban Station

The Interurban Railroad provided passenger service between Port Washington and Milwaukee for over 40 years.  The station on Center Street became the Colonial Photography Studio after service was discontinued and functioned as such until recently.
The Interurban ran along the western edge of Cedarburg until 1948. The first major subdivision, Westlawn, was built in the field to the right in 1953 and 1954.
The Interurban provided a popular method of traveling to and from Milwaukee. Trains composed of one, two or three cars were used, depending upon the number of passengers expected. Even so, some riders occasionally had to stand, as shown in this photograph taken on one of the train’s last trips before service was discontinued on March 31, 1948.