Bring back some good or bad memories


December 14, 2014

25 Vintage Photos of Shops and Stores in New Jersey

This circa-1900 photo shows the H. King clothing store at the corner of Market and Halsey streets in Newark. Courtesy of the New Jersey Historical Society.

Sally's at 111 Main St. in Manasquan offered women the "finest designer dresses and accessories." The shop closed in 1992 after the death of owner Sally Paperth Yatter; the site became the Center Food Market. Courtesy of the Squan Village Historical Society.

Before they were "Two Guys" department stores, they were "2 Guys from Harrison." Here's a 1950s photo of Sidney and Herbert Hubschman's Lodi store. Courtesy of Susan Conway DeRosa.



This photo, taken on Aug. 21, 1974, shows the grand opening of the Woolco department store at the Village Mall in Willingboro. Courtesy of the Burlington County Times.

A 1960s photo of the interior of the Bergen Department Store in Hasbrouck Heights. Courtesy of Arcadia Publishing.

The grand opening of the Middletown Shopping Center is shown in this photo from Nov. 1957. The lot boasted parking for 1,400 cars. Courtesy of the Middletown Township Historic Preservation Commission.

Betty's Department Store, shown here in the 1960s, was a shop run by Betty Nametko on the corner of Main Street and West Central Avenue in Wharton. Courtesy of the Wharton Public Library.

Assorted candy was available at the counter of J. Heinz's store in Audubon, as seen in this photo from the early 1940s. Courtesy of the Audubon Historical Society.

Samuel Paster opened this store in Bayonne in 1916; in this 1928 photo, his wife Hattie leans on the counter with their children, from left, Hannah, Gertrude and Jack. Courtesy of the Bayonne Historical Society.

Opening day at Sears, Roebuck & Co.'s new store in Camden is seen in this photo from 1927. The store was located on Bridge Boulevard, later known as the Admiral Wilson Boulevard. Courtesy of Sears, Roebuck & Co.

The toy department at Newberry's in Red Bank is shown in this circa-1950s photo. Among the items visible are Golden Books shelved underneath the dolls and "Plasticville" construction sets in the foreground. Courtesy of Arcadia Publishing.

Gianquitti's store in Bernardsville is shown in this photo from 1922. From left are employee Steven Corrado, bookkeeper Elizabeth Morrow, owner "Pop" Gianquitti and his son, Anthony. Courtesy of the Bernardsville Public Library.

Levittown in Burlington County had its own furniture store; Levittmark operated this showroom on Route 130 in front of the Willingboro Plaza mall, and not only sold furnishings but also stocked replacement parts for Levittown's specially designed homes. Courtesy of the Burlington County Times.

Edmund Einsiedel is pictured with his dog inside his general store on the corner of Third Terrace and County Road in Egg Harbor City, circa-1930s. As well as standard general store items, Einsiedel also sold pottery fired in his own kiln. Courtesy of the Egg Harbor City Historical Society.

A 1950s-era photo of the W.T. Grant store at what was then known as the Wyckoff Municipal Shopping Center. The mall was later renamed Boulder Run. Courtesy of Arcadia Publishing.

Among the stores seen in this 1954 photo taken between Curtis Avenue and Centre Street in Woodbury are F.W. Woolworth's and S.S. Kresge's, side-by-side. Courtesy of the Gloucester County Historical Society.

Do you think Red Bank Days feature "Bargains Galore?" The message is coming through loud and clear at the Schulte-United variety store in Red Bank in this undated photo. Courtesy of the Red Bank Historic Preservation Commission.

Ackerson's store in Newton sold a variety of goods; this undated photo focuses on the ladies' department. The large shape is not a flaw in the photo -- it's a textile sample hanging from the ceiling. Courtesy of the Sussex County Historical Society.

A crowd fills the sidewalk for the grand opening of S.S. Kresge's 5 & 10 Store at 304 W. Front St. in Plainfield in this 1917 photo. Courtesy of Arcadia Publishing.



J. Summerson's Handy Department Store appears in this circa-1900 photo from Blackwood. Summerson offered home delivery of goods purchased at his store which was later converted into a bakery, a doctor's office and, finally, a residence. Courtesy of the Gloucester Twp. Historical Society.

Blauvelt's was a millinery, dress goods and trimmings store in Hightstown. The store, shown here in the 1890s, advertised offering bargain prices on "silks, velvets, buttons, gimps and fringes" in the Hightstown Gazette. Courtesy of the Hightstown-East Windsor Historical Society.

(via NJ.com)




11 comments:

  1. Yet today's narratives are so triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/pages/%D8%A7%D9%81%D8%B6%D9%84-%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D9%87-%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%B8%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%81%D9%84%D9%84-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B6-0594916877-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9/670502116315243\ شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsyuRXqlfI8

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.facebook.com/pages/%D8%A7%D9%81%D8%B6%D9%84-%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D9%87-%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%B8%D9%8A%D9%81-%D9%81%D9%84%D9%84-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B6-0594916877-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9/670502116315243

    ReplyDelete



FOLLOW US:
FacebookTumblrPinterestInstagram

CONTACT US

Browse by Decades

Popular Posts

Advertisement