Bring back some good or bad memories


February 8, 2012

20 Punk Bands of the 1980s You've Never Heard Of

Punk is a rock music genre that emerged in the mid-1970s in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. They typically produced short, fast-paced songs with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produce recordings and distribute them through independent record labels.

The term “punk rock” was first used by American rock critics in the early 1970s to describe 1960s garage bands and subsequent acts understood to be their stylistic inheritors. When the movement now bearing the name developed between 1974-1976, acts such as Television, Patti Smith, and the Ramones in New York City, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, and the Damned in London, and the Saints in Brisbane formed its vanguard.

As 1977 approached, punk became a major cultural phenomenon in the UK. It spawned a punk subculture expressing youthful rebellion through distinctive styles of clothing and adornment (such as deliberately offensive T-shirts, leather jackets, studded or spiked bands and jewelry, safety pins, and bondage and S&M clothes) and a variety of anti-authoritarian ideologies.

Below is a list of 20 punk bands from the U.K you’ve never heard of:
























10 comments:

  1. Oh but I have, and saw Stiff Little Fingers only a few years ago.
    I do find it funny when punk bands pose, posing in the 80s is even funnier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed heard of most of them and saw quite a few of them :-)

    thanks for posting

    ~simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lords of the New Church, Dead Kennedys or Killing Jokes are far from unknown if you lived in the 80s...

    Now if you show the pictures when asking about them no wonder nobody admits they remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of 90% of these bands and love them! Great pics. The other 10%, you make me curious. Will have to look them up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granted, SOME of these bands are pretty obscure but including the "Dead Kennedys" on a "you've never heard of them" list makes entire project null-and-void. Was this originally a 2019 book report for a 7th grader's music class?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an old bastard... I saw the Dead Kennedys (and jumped off their stage a bunch of times) in about 1984 in Minneapolis with some other outfit called Otto's Chemical Lounge at the old Minneapolis Armory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only a couple of bands I hadn't heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Post but I've heard of and listened to them all....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even I was born in '84 I know almost all of these bands... Also if you don't care about punk and where born end of the 90's you know most of these bands from video games like the GTA or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series I'd guess :-|

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dead Kennedy's are from San Fransisco, wtf do you not use google lmao

    ReplyDelete



FOLLOW US:
FacebookTumblrPinterestInstagram

CONTACT US

Browse by Decades

1800s | 1900s | 1910s | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s

Popular Posts

Advertisement