Saturday, November 19, 2016

18 Color Vintage Snapshots Documented Westwood Motorsport Racing in the Early Days

Westwood Motorsport Park (or Westwood Racing Circuit) was a 1.8 miles (2.90 km) 8-turn motorsport race track located in Coquitlam, British Columbia on the southern slopes of Eagle Mountain (known locally as Eagle Ridge).

The track was built and operated by the Sports Car Club of British Columbia (SCCBC). Construction of Westwood began in 1957, and the first race was held on July 26, 1959, making it the first purpose-built permanent road course in Canada.

Westwood hosted many different professional race series over the years, including long stints with the Formula Atlantic Series, Trans-Am Series, and Player's GM Challenge Series.

The track finally closed in 1990 to make way for the Westwood Plateau housing development and the Westwood Plateau Golf & Country Club.

Here below is a rare collection of 18 color vintage snapshots that shows the races of Westwood Motorsport Park in the late 1950s and early 1960s.



















(Photos from Mark Faviell)

No comments:

Post a Comment