Sunday, August 21, 2016

One of the Places Where Hanging Out Started – Amazing Photos of Carpenter's Drive-In from the 1930s

Carpenter’s Sandwich Stand at 6285 West Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street in Los Angeles, CA, certainly was not the first drive-in, but the management apparently knew how to do it right. The octagonal-shaped wood frame building is topped by a neon sign, with four levels of conventional signage below it. The ground level walls and counter are decorated with ceramic tile.

The publicity images taken in 1932 show the complete facility, staff, and the restrooms in a separate building on the far-left. Sandwiches varied in price from 15 cents up to 25 cents for a “Sirloin Steak Sandwich.” A full line of beverages including “Ben-Hur” coffee were offered along with deserts. Carpenter’s also had a “Barbecue Pit” located at Wilshire and Western Avenues.

There is an interesting mix of mid-1920s through 1932 cars in the parking lot. On the far-left and behind Carpenter’s are two automotive service establishments.






(The photos are courtesy of the USC Libraries, via The Old Motor)

No comments:

Post a Comment